your failure to understand that there are things much worse than death has always been your greatest weakness
Trying to remember a book you read ages ago and not knowing the title or author is so depressing. It’s like the book is forever lost to you.
Isn’t it amazing how life is one thing and then in an instinct, it becomes something else? Like, here I am, Mia. The girl who thinks about the cello, and Adam, and just like that…
"Facing this stuff in real life is not like school. In school if you make a mistake you can just try again tomorrow, but out there when you’re a second away from being murdered or watching a friend die right before your eyes, you don’t know what that’s like.”
So this little cigarette right here has sparked a whole new brand of TFiOS hate, much of which is coming from people who claimed to love the book.
Many people are now pointing out how “pretentious” Augustus is, and I can’t help but think, You’re only just now realizing this. He was written to be a seemingly pretentious and arrogant person. The acknowledgement of this is actually highly important because, without it, the book loses the message that a hero’s journey is that of strength to weakness.
Augustus Waters has big dreams for himself. He wants to be known and remembered; he wants to be a hero; he wants to be seen as perfect. But there’s already something standing in his way… He has a disability, and society tells him that a person cannot be both perfect and disabled. So what does he do? He creates a persona for himself. He tries to appear older and wiser than he is. But the pretentious side of him is NOT who he truly is. It’s all an act. (This is evident in the fact that he often uses words in the wrong context.)
And when his cancer returns, we begin to see his mask cracking. The true Augustus begins to bleed through… Hazel even takes notice of this from time to time. And by the time we get to the gas station scene, Augustus is no longer the picture of perfection he was when we met him. The play has been canceled. The actor must reveal himself. And he’s revealed to be a weak, defenseless boy, succumbing to the cancer that is made of him.
THE PRETENTIOUSNESS IS INTENTIONAL. It stands to show Augustus’s journey from flawless to flawed, from strong to weak. It’s the key to understanding that Augustus was the hero he always wanted to be, even if he didn’t realized it.
To thank my amazing followers for sticking with me more than a year and to celebrate a huge follower milestone, here’s a giveaway of some of my favorite books!
There will be two winners and each will get to pick one book from above!
- You must be following eternal-books since this is to thank all my followers!
- Reblog and like the post to enter. Reblog as many times as you like but be considerate to your followers!
- I know some of the books listed above belong to a series, so you may choose from the series provided the book has been published!
- This giveaway is international, I will be ordering from the Book Depository.
- You must be comfortable giving me your address, I promise it will be used to ship your books only.
- The winners will be chosen randomly through a random number generator.
- Your ask box must be open so I can contact you if you win! The chosen winner must respond within 48 hours.
- No giveaway blogs.
- If the book you have chosen is available as paperback or hardcover, you will be able to choose.
- This giveaway ends May 16th, 2014 at 12:00am EST
- If you have any questions contact me HERE!
Again, thank you all for such a wonderful time! i love book blogging because of the other blogs on here, and I want to thank you for that! Good luck and love you all!
Of something meant to be. The feeling brings tears to my eyes. Perhaps we can take a step forward together.
“Hi,” he says. “I’m Daniel.”
“Hi,” I reply. “I’m June.”
LEGIT THE BEST POST I HAVE EVER SEEN
This will never get old
It actually wasn’t too bad, but I definitely did catch up on my reading. :)
Just a heads up! I’m doing an experiment for one of my classes this weekend. I’m not allowed to use any form of social media including tumblr. This is in effect until Sunday at midnight.
March Book Photo Challenge
Day 27: Book Stack
So, how genius is Hermione Granger?